Wednesday, April 29, 2026

chemo

 
In January of 2024 I started chemotherapy.  It is hard to describe the feeling I had at my first appointment.  It took forever because they put all the medicines in to you slowly and separately to make sure you don't have any crazy reactions.  I was terrified.  Dave gave me a blessing before I went in. You have to go in alone because there isn't room for everyone to have a guest.  It is a somber place but also a place where I felt so supported.  I handled chemo pretty well at first.  It made me a little nauseous and tired.  They give you steroids to help support your immune system.  My therapy day was Tuesday.  For the first few weeks I would usually come home and rest.  Then on Wednesday I had all kinds of energy.  I would try to get all the things done.  Thursdays I didn't feel great and then usually by Saturday or Sunday I would start to feel better.  

The nurses were incredible.  So patient, calm and kind.  My treatments took about 2.5 - 3 hours.  Dave would go to the hospital cafeteria and get something to eat and wait for me.  I am so grateful for research that has taught us how to fight cancer.  A few years ago my outcome would have been much different.  

No comments: